Home is where the heart is. It is a familiar setting where you feel most comfortable, surrounded by memories that create a strong emotional connection. For many people staying at home is symbolic of retaining independence. However, choosing to age in place should not preclude you and your family from planning ahead for a variety of possible scenarios. In fact, a lack of planning can actually lead to less independence. Many families wait until a significant health event occurs before considering the options; often rushed and under heavy stress.
If you or a loved one are planning to age in place here are some important planning considerations:
- Will your home eventually need to be modified to accommodate changes in your mobility?
- Who will provide ongoing interior and exterior home maintenance when you are no longer able?
- Studies reveal that loneliness in the later phases of retirement can have adverse health consequences. How will you stay socially active?
- What type of medical and emergency alert system should be installed in your home?
- Who will provide for your day-to-day needs if you are no longer able care for yourself?
- Is there a family member living nearby who is willing and able to provide for such care or will you hire paid care?
- If you are planning to rely on a family caregiver have you considered the potential emotional, physical, and financial impact on the caregiver?
- If you plan to hire in-home care who will manage the process and scheduling of any necessary hired care?
- Who will oversee your hired caregivers to help make sure you are receiving quality care and prevent abusive situations or negligence?
- If the time comes when you can no longer receive the level of care you require at home do you know where you would go to receive such care? Who will help coordinate that process for you?
If you or your loved ones plan to age in place, At Home with RWC brings personal, companion
and nursing care right to your doorstep.
The above article was written by Brad Breeding of myLifeSite and is legally licensed for use.